Thursday, October 15, 2009

A OKAY on the check up front...

As I walked into the cancer center for my 8:30 appointment on Tuesday, the moment was a bit surreal. Not because of my looming appointment where I would find out it this ugly beast was still minding it's own business, but because my father who lives some 500 miles away, was walking into some building of his own to face his own beast, his first radiation treatment for prostate cancer. Even as I write these words, it's still unimaginable to me that cancer can strike not only once, but twice in the same family at the same time. We're not alone in this journey, there are millions of people in the same predicament all over the world. It doesn't make it any easier to digest, in fact I'd say it's equally annoying at best. The good news is that I'm still kicking cancer's butt and my dad is too!! It's funny, now that I know the word cancer I find myself hoping and praying that if anyone I know gets it, that they get a kinder more gentle version. Something manageable,something beatable...a kind version + a great attitude= a win win situation. Funny how our perspective changes with firsthand experience.

2 comments:

l'optimiste said...

yay you!! and yay your Dad - give it hell and stomp it you two!

Your use of the word 'annoying ' cracked me up...annoying?? you are being VERY understated here!

SO happy you had yet another good appointment. Mine are always on Tuesday too - yippee for Tuesdays!
x

Glynis said...

Joy and Dancing in the street for you and your poppa bear, Kia. So happy to hear the great news. x