Sunday, February 15, 2009

Cancer Knows no Boundaries...

Things have been pretty crazy over the last week. I've got a few interesting events to catch you up on, but I will save that for a later entry. I want to use this opportunity to share with you where I am now and how I'm navigating this new phase of my journey.

My dad had surgery for early staged prostate cancer on Friday. He's home now and resting which I am very thankful for, but watching him as he embarks on his new journey, is a lot like looking in a mirror. One thing my experience with Ovarian Cancer has taught me, is to be thankful and appreciative for where I am at this time...things could be worst and for some people they are just that. I think that cancer has hit us again because of how well we responded the first time. Yep, we were so good at it, someone decided that we could probably handle a little bit more:) My dad is a lot like me, he will not take cancer lying down. Having traveled down this road just a few short months ago was a blessing in disguise. It made me not so scared of the unknown. It's made me focus on the positive and not the negatives. It's helped my dad realize that he now has a mission. A mission to help educate our husbands, fathers, brothers, and sons about how important early detection is and how significant it is to saving your life.

My family has been through a lot over the years, but show me a family who hasn't. Resisting the temptation to question why, is half the battle...

3 comments:

Tracey said...

Kia.. if your Dad is half as strong as you. he'll be fine... its good that you can show him the way to go.. Give him a big hug from me in the UK xx

nat said...

I am sorry that your father is facing cancer. Last year, my 78 year old father in law had prostate cancer. (I believe it was stage 2). He came through the radiation with flying colors - his main complaint was diarrhea.

It is good that you can be such a strong and understanding support system for him during this time. Please keep us updated on his status!

thando said...

Dear Kia
I would first like to introduce myself. My name is Nothando and I am a PhD student at Staffordshire University in UK, doing research on the use of weblogs in palliative care and hospice staff.
I came across your blog online and am very much interested in incorporating it within my work for support data. Any data that I will use within my thesis will be completely anonymous and you will not be identifiable from any publication arising from the thesis.
I hope this is alright with you. Please contact me if you have any questions or queries at n.ngwenya@staffs.ac.uk.
Is there anyway I could e-mail you with more information?
Thanks
Nothando B Ngwenya