Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Golden Age of heathcare...

Last week I had the distinct honor and pleasure of interviewing my father about his experience with segregation and racism. The daughter of a friend was doing a report for school(I'm assuming it was in celebration of black history month) and she wanted to get the perspective of an ordinary individual who lived during that time in history. Because my father grew up in the north his exposure to segregation and racism was minimal. But with summer visits to his grand-parents, my great-grandparents house in North Carolina his youthful eyes and innocence would be forever changed. Hearing stories of about how disadvantaged people of color were, really got me thinking about my journey and how different it would have been for me had I gotten sick just 40 years ago. I've received state of the art health care...doctor's, surgeries, drugs...no shortage of everything needed to help me fight this dreadful disease. What's ironic about the whole thing is that although segregation is no longer legal, we are still living in a country where not everyone has access to the same benefits. It's absolutely fascinating that although we've come so far, we've still got a long way to go. I'm glad I had that moment to stop, listen, and reflect with my dad. It's always good to remember where we've come from and no matter what your history is, it's something we can all benefit from.

2 comments:

nat said...

How nice to interview your dad! We can't forget the past - thats for sure. What is that quote? "Those who forget the past are destined to repeat it" - or something like that...

I sure hope for a good answer to our health care issues. Before cancer I didn't care much about health care. Now I see how it affects people, and the discrepancy between different types of coverage. I am still so confused by some of it.

test said...

Me too - and seeing the past makes us aware of how lucky we are now. And also of how much better things could be if people weren't so stupid sometimes...