Thursday, April 9, 2009

Genetic testing and me...

I have no idea how this is going to turn out, but I know that I made the right decision, the right decision for me.

Yesterday I had my blood drawn for the Brac Analysis Testing. For those of you who are unfamiliar with it, it's a genetic test for hereditary breast and ovarian cancer. I have no history of breast or ovca besides my great auntie on my father's side who had breast cancer, however I'm concerned that I was diagnosed with OVCA at the age of 33 and that I have a history of cystic breast.

Before they run my blood, the company that does the genetic testing will have to check with my insurance company to make sure that they will cover the cost. If they choose not to(which wouldn't surprise me at all considering how insurance company's are), I will probably let sleeping dogs lie. There's no way I could afford to pay thousands of dollars at this point, so I'll just have to pray on it:)

What happens if I'm positive? I really can't say. I've already had OVCA so my biggest concern besides a possible recurrence would be breast cancer. I don't know if I'm the type of person who would choose to have an elective mastectomy. There's a part of me that feels certain that I would and then there's the part of me that is annoyed that I would even have to contemplate a decision like that. Isn't one cancer enough to deal with? I think so, but as I learned very quickly, I am not in control of this journey.

I wish more monority women would face their issues head on. There's no reason why we aren't benefiting from resources like the Brac Analysis to help us with early detection, ultimately saving our lives. I wish more doctor's were proactive in educating minority women about their options. The disparities in healthcare are a gap that we have to bridge. I'm sure I sound like a broken record to those of you who follow my blog, but until I see the numbers changing and more people taking control of their health, a broken record is what I'll be.

As far as my pending genetic test goes, what I can say is that I'm not going to worry about it. No need to put the cart be before the horse(I'm full of old adages this entry). Cancer has given me the strength to do things I've never dreamed of. My biggest concern of the day use to be what I was going to have for lunch. Thankfully, I'm slowly reconnecting with that person and it feels good!

4 comments:

test said...

yo Kia - you aren't at all like a broken record. And you are right.

Our health should NOT be controlled by insurance companies [don't get ME started on them - then you'll really hear a broken record!] anyone at all should have the same health care. Full stop. We are lucky here in the UK. Although a LOT of people don't realise it.

And I'd be the same about the elective mastectomy - I can't say even now if I would be able to do that. As you say, one is enough!

But I am sure if they do the test [hopefully WHEN they do the test] you'll be fine and not have to make that decision.

I am crossed fingers and things for you. Let us know what happens - I know you will, but you know what I mean
xx

test said...

PS: add the cancer vixen clip - it's so cool! :o)
x

nat said...

Hi Kia

I had that test done. Mine came back negative.

I had it done more for my sister, than anyone else (I have no blood neices or nephews).

I think that since our ovaries are gone, even if you were positive - you would have a reduced risk?? So a mastectomy might not really be required or even advised.

My doctor did say that it only tested for mutations on two genes (BRCA1 and 2), and I was negative for those - but that doesn't mean that I don't have other gene mutations :/

It is all so confusing, isn't it? But you are right not to worry. I honestly didn't know what to wish for - a mutation (that would at least explain why I got ovca), or no mutation (which doesn't explain anything, but at least I'm not genetically prone to breast cancer...)

oh - my insurance paid all but a $30 co-pay for my testing.

Annabelle said...

I've been thinking about doing this test too. My oncologist doesn't think I need to, but all the women in my support group think I should. I'll probably see a genetic counselor and see what they say. I saw a great documentary on the BRCA gene called In the Family (http://inthefamily.kartemquin.com/) I highly recommend it!