Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Going to the Dr...

I have my standard pre-chemo Dr.'s appointment today. I'm actually experiencing a little pain in my abdomen today, so I'm kind of looking forward to it...My Dr. is AWESOME, I know I'm in very good hands. Today I will also find out what my CA-125 is. CA-125 is a blood test that you take, it's an indicates the presence of a tumor in your body. The official definition is "CA 125 is a protein that is a so–called tumor marker or biomarker, which is a substance that is found in greater concentration in tumor cells than in other cells of the body. In particular, CA 125 is present in greater concentration in ovarian cancer cells than in other cells. Its function is not currently understood. CA stands for cancer antigen." The normal range is from 0-35, when I went in for my surgery I was at 59. After 1 round of chemo my count went to 27, followed by a count of 15. I pray is stays normal. Next week is my 4th round of chemo, I will officially be at the half way mark. It's going by really fast, but not fast enough...if that makes any sense:) The actually chemo isn't bad, it doesn't really hit until the 3rd or 4th day after...it's a feeling of being extremely exhausted and lethargic...you kind of feel like you're in another world. The nausea is manageable, at least for me(with the help of the anti-nausea meds)I'm very grateful that the side effects for me are minimal...You also become really emotional, I cry at happy things, sad things, even scary things, lol...I think crying is therapeutic, bring on the waterworks!!!

No comments: