Friday, March 6, 2009

Cancer+Fortune Cookie=Kia


"I don't know how to become unstuck"


"The only wrong thing, is to do nothing"


I have little scraps of paper all over the house with sayings just like the one above. Most times it comes to me via background noise coming out of the TV. I rush to look for a viable pen to write down what I've just heard, although I know these moments happen often, I'm never prepared and thus everything is written down in haste. I subsequently spend hours on end trying to decipher what I wrote. It's a vicious cycle, my vicious cycle. My husband says I'm like a giant fortune cookie. I laugh him off as if to say "your so silly", however I know he's right. Ovarian Cancer has turned me into a giant fortune cookie right in front of my very own eyes.


These little words of wisdom have helped me navigate this senseless disease. These little words validate what I already know to be true. We all seek validation, no matter what we're going through at the time. Validation that we are not alone in our journey, validation that we are on the right path, and validation that life does and will get better. We all have people around us who offer invaluable words of wisdom, yet more often than not those words are hard to process when it comes from someone so close to you. Fortune cookies have no vested interest in us, so in my opinion we can always count on them to give it to us straight!

No comments: