Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Lights, Camera, Action!!

My quest to spread awareness for this senseless disease is endless...last week I channeled my inner "America's next top model" just for the cause. Before I explain, let me just preface it with this...I have a WHOLE new appreciation for models and the endless hours they spend cheesing in front of the camera. Who knew that was such a hard job?

About a month ago I was interviewed by a writer who was writing a story for "All You" magazine, a magazine that's solely distributed through Walmart. Last week the magazine sent out a photographer to capture some pictures to accompany the article. They wanted to take pics of me while out and about, doing what I do best...spreading awareness...I didn't have anything lined up, so I suggested that they join me at the Ovarian Cancer Alliance of Florida's monthly lunch-bunch. Every month survivor's,caregivers, and friends meet for a dutch lunch. It's a great way to connect outside of the treatment room and doctors office. It's one of those little things that can really help keep you sane. What I love most about it is that it keeps me connected to the people and cause I care most about.

It felt like my wedding day all over again. I think Preston, the photographer must have taken at least 500 shots. He got a truckload of shots both inside and outside of the restaurant, then followed me to my house for pic's of Dan and I(this is when things really started to feel like an issue of Ladies Home Journal). All I can say is that I did the best I could at channeling my inner Tyra Banks, hoping and praying that in between blinks I made her proud. The issue comes out this summer, I think it will give great exposure this disease that doesn't discriminate and for that I'll make a fool out of myself anytime!!

I want to give a shout out to my co-stars, the little ladies that I share this incredible journey with. They were such great sports, putting up with the constant flashing of the bulb and for joining me in my "starring role". I can't imagine my life without any of them, they all bring something special to my life, a gift worth a million bucks!!

5 comments:

test said...

wow Kia - how do you DO that?? you are so cool - and [oh, you KNEW this was coming!!] WHERE are the photos?? c'mon girl - we want to see too!

good work mate!
Sx

Kia Taylor said...

I wanna see the pics too!! I think I'll e-mail the photographer, see if he can slip me a few:) I'll be sure to scan and upload the article when it comes out.

xoxo

Glynis said...

Hello Tyra (aka Kia)
...And I definitely want to see the article! Let me know when it comes out! We have Walmart here in Canada...hopefully we have the magazine. What a special day for a special gal. Cheers and happy day. x

Anonymous said...

I've just found your blog - I finished chemo for OC this time last year. I've also blogged my story as I could find so little about women's personal experiences with this disease. You seem to be doing a fantastic job of telling the world about it - and yes, where are the photos?!

Eve said...

How cool! I can't wait!! I love All You magazine. I'm so proud of you.