Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Flushing of the port...

I went to the Doctor office yesterday to get my port flushed. A port for all of my non-cancer readers is as my husband describes it, kind of like a socket they put into your chest...chemo is administered into your body through this socket. Ports like chemo have come a long way, most of them are placed under the skin which is great...you really can't tell that I have one, although I can feel it when I shower and get dressed and that's still kind of weird. Anyway, I still have my port even though I'm off of chemo because of the high recurrence rate of Ovarian Cancer, or as I like to call it...the gift that keeps on giving...

For some people getting your port out is a milestone that marks the end of your journey. For some keeping it in is like a safety net... me I'm somewhere stuck in the middle. I would love to have my port out, a tangible piece of cancer that signifies the end of my journey and that the war is over. But then there's the part of me that remembers that if I should ever have to have treatment again, my life would be a lot easier if I still had my port. It may seem trivial, but when it comes to cancer you really learn to count your victory's in small digestible doses.

Doctor's vary on this topic as do patients. What's important is that you do what's right for you. Blogging for me is a way to take some of those jumbled thoughts that are running around inside my head and make some sense of them. Blogging for me is way to help other's who may walk in my shoes. It's not meant to be an exact science, as I am completely new at this. I'm muddling my way through and hoping that in the end I'll be able to say ah ha!! Imagine that my very own ah ha moment! Look out Oprah!!

1 comment:

test said...

ha! yes! I know where you're coming from BUT: Oprah never had to have chemo [she just spends her life dieting - much less hassle] - AND you will never need the port again. Ever.

we have to Be Cheerful Part 1. And Part 2 is - we have to be cheerful!

Kia, this is NOT going to happen again.
Sx