Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Goodbye blues....

I'm feeling better today. Actually, this week hasn't been as bad as I thought it might be. On Monday I spoke to group of nursing students at The University of Central Florida. It's a program that the Ovarian Cancer Alliance of Florida in partnership with UCF, uses to educate nurses about Ovarian Cancer. Because nurses are on the front line, it's important that they have an accurate understanding about Ovarian Cancer and it's symptom's.

Speaking to the group of nurses reminded me of the big picture. It reminded me that there is a reason for all of this madness:) The night before my presentation I was so annoyed and fed up with the world including all that cancer has robbed me of...only to be reminded the next day about the gift that it has also given me. An even greater appreciation for life and the ability to help other's in more ways than I will ever know.

During my presentation I talk about my diagnosis, my treatment, and surgeries. More importantly, I talk about me. I speak from the heart. I remind people that there is a face behind every disease and that whatever your obstacle is, it doesn't have to beat you. After I finished my presentation a beautiful young(I felt extremely old amongst all those wide eyed college juniors) woman ran up to me and thanked me. She's a Hodgkin's survivor of two years. She thanked me for sharing my story. She thanked me for making her feel like she wasn't alone. She too lives with that nagging feeling that her cancer will return ,something that those around her can't seem to wrap their heads around. It was refreshing for her to see and hear from someone who gets it:)

I'm not saying that the only way to get it is to be a survivor or a patient, but in some ways you kind of do. I don't think any of us knows what another person is feeling unless we take a walk in their shoes. Sure we can empathize, but we'll never really know.

Thanks for the many words of encouragement. I pray that we are able to continue to lift each other up and that no weapon formed against us shall prosper...

xoxo

3 comments:

nat said...

I am so in awe of your abilities - to speak in front of large crowds and to speak from the heart. I'd have to have notecards, cheat sheets, and I'd tremble myself right off of the stage :)

You are right about "not getting it" unless you have had cancer or are a patient. However, I think that people who have suffered through other problems are better able to emphasize than those who haven't had to endure much. I know that I am much more caring and considerate -and yes - empathetic - to those with any illness, or who are suffering from injustice, oppression etc., since my cancer diagnosis. It seems to have opened a part of me that was closed.

There I go - rambling again! Take care Kia - keep up the very very good work!

Kia Taylor said...

Ramble anytime Nat! I agree, I have become an advocate for all injustice:) There's a little part of me that believe's I was always like this, especially as I got older...however I know for a fact that since cancer...how I see the world has completely changed!! For the better!!!

test said...

ok you two - I am just going to add a a 'hear hear' to that! Agree with everything and feel the same - so, actually we are quite lucky you know? mad as it seems.