Sunday, November 2, 2008

The many woa's of health insurance....

It's that time a year again, time to select our health care plan for the new year. Thankfully I'm covered under my husband's plan for work and our out of pocket expenses throughout my journey with cancer have been minimal. I know that there are far too many people who can't say the same, in fact I know of at least 45 million. I don't know their names but I know they exist and I pray for them each and every day.

For the first time in my life I'm nervous about this time of year. Normally, I would roll over what ever plan we currently have to the following year,however this year my husband's company announced that they will no longer offer that plan. Before last year, I was a healthy woman and this announcement wouldn't have made a difference. Now I'm a cancer survivor with a team of medical professionals that I know, trust, and love and for whom I may not be sitting here today. What if my Doctor doesn't take this new insurance policy? Leaving our doctor is not an option....staying with my doctor as an out of network participant would be my best bet, but the thought of having to shell out thousands and thousands of potential dollars that we don't have seems almost unfathomable.

After my initial panic I decided to check the website of my future policy to see if my doctor was a participant in the plan, I probably should have done this first...but panic takes over and I seem to forget the most logical of next steps:) The good news is that my doctor is in the plan. I'll place a call to his office tomorrow just to be sure we are choosing the plan that will give us the most bang for our buck. The one that will offer the same level and quality of coverage that my old plan provided.

What I forgot while going through my dilemma is that no matter what I still had a choice, which is something that many people don't have. So things may not have turned out as great as I would have liked...but I know it will be okay. How many of us can say that?

I'm posting a link to an article I wrote about minorities and health care. I hope you'll read it and take time to think about some of these issues and although it may not effect you personally today, you never know when it will.

Enjoy!!

http://www.silkeendress.com/awomanshealthkiariddicktaylor.html

1 comment:

test said...

Kia - good luck with the health plan. I can't imagine being in that position, and am so grateful that we have the NHS here - everyone's always bitching about it, but I have had fantastic care from them, that would have cost unbelievable amounts if we'd had to pay for it. I know we would have found a way, but I can't imagine where we'd be right now - like you, we don't have that kind of money.

I hope everything works out the way you want. Such worries when you don't need even one more bit of stress...
x