Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Adoption after cancer?


Adoption after cancer. Is it possible?


Is it a dream that I can safely hold onto?


I'm not sure.


I always assumed I would be a mother. It never really occurred to me that I wouldn't. Even before I was married, with no prospects of a husband in my immediate or distant future I knew that I would have children, even if I had to tap into other resources to make it happen:)


I knew that if I never had children, it would be by choice. My choice. And as most of you know the word "choice" in my book has been redefined forever.


When I think about our future, a part of me still sees us with a house full of kids, although I question where these kids will come from. After a diagnosis of Ovarian Cancer I don't know how many adoption agencies are rushing to place a child in your care...


If I'm having a really good day, I can convince myself that I don't want children, thereby avoiding another one of life's disappointments and heartache. This way I can't be let down when things don't work out, no harm no foul!


We have no shortage of children in our lives so that void has been filled. The nagging, lingering thought for me is, how much we can enrich the life of a child and truly make a difference in their future.


If anyone has any success stories please share, I would love to hear from someone who has traveled this road before me.



4 comments:

test said...

oh Kia my heart really goes out to you here - but ALL parents have risks - surely the agencies have to consider each potential parent individually? I hope so...

And I hope someone jumps on here with a success story too. That would be encouraging for all women in your position. Let's hope!
xx

Kia Taylor said...

Thanks Sandhy!! I agree all parents have risks and no one knows what the future may hold for them...if only more people would realize that. We shall see, the best I can do is to just continue to believe that I am where I should be at this moment and the rest will follow...

lucy said...

Hi Kia,
There are women on the www.acor.org site that are ovca survivors and have adopted. I don't know if the adoption occurred prior to their diagnosis or not. Do you belong to that group?
Patsy

Kia Taylor said...

Thanks Patsy! I don't belong to that group, but I will definitely check it out!