Saturday, January 24, 2009

Living in the moment...

I'm going to make my husband proud with this entry. Dan's the type of person who wants you to love everything that he loves. He's spent years trying to get me to watch one of his favorite shows (Battlestar Gallatica). Today I proudly announce that his dreams may soon become a reality. I am finally on the verge of submitting...


What brought about this sudden change? Cancer of course. One of the main characters of the show is a cancer survivor who's currently going through a recurrence. In addition to being a cancer survivor she happens to be president of the planet or universe...I'm not sure what she's president of...I just know she's president...


Because she's going through a recurrence, she's forced to hold a press conference to announce her status. Here's the gist...



President: I can confirm that my cancer has returned....



Reporter: Do you know how long you have?


President: Do You?


Reporter: (Blank Stare, mouth wide open)



What a great response! Do any of us really know what the future holds? It's true, some of us have come closer to our own mortality than we would have ever liked to...but nothing in this life is guaranteed...not even for someone who "appears" to be in the best of health. Our power lies with hoping and praying for the best. Taking care of our mind, body, and spirit to the best of our ability and enjoying each day that life has to offer. No matter what your journey is, we all owe it to ourselves to enjoy what's right in front of us. Wandering about what awaits us down the road can make you crazy.


It can immobilize you...


The ability to keep moving and pushing forward during your darkest days takes a lot of work. It's just as much of a mental battle as it is physical, but it's a battle that can be won. Everyday won't be easy, every moment won't be easy. Just yesterday I had a moment where I felt like I just couldn't win. There are so many things that I want to do, yet I can't find an easy road to any of them(I'm starting to think I'm not suppose to) I'm trying to get on with my life post cancer in the midst of the worst economic time our country has ever faced. I almost let my frustration with a couple of situations ruin my whole day. But instead, I decided to take back all of the energy I invested in everything that was going wrong and in turn focus it on everything that was going right. The rest I figure will fall into place.

A philosophy that I'm applying to the many facets of my life.

3 comments:

nat said...

That is funny! My husband absolutely loves that show too - and I had no interest in it either until the cancer came into play.

We haven't watched that episode yet, but I will watch it with him. What a great answer! I wonder if the writer had cancer touch their life.

As usual, your parting thoughts apply directly to my life too. Thank you for some clarity today!

Tracey said...

Weird isn't it how we change because we have cancer.. I'd never have noticed stories in newspapers regarding this awful disease before i actually got it.

Now i feel i can understand what people are going through so can put my two pennath in.

test said...

Oh that was classic! Loved that - "do you?"...I wish I'd seen the reporters face...

ace remark