Thursday, January 8, 2009

Ovarian Cancer and Obesity...

An interesting article came across my computer today...have I mentioned just how much I love google alerts?

They(not really sure who they are) have just added a new "risk factor" that can increase your chances of getting Ovarian Cancer. Ladies who are over 50 and overweight are now at an elevated risk.

"Obese women may face an elevated risk because their fat cells turn normal hormones into estrogen and estrogen plays a role in the development of ovarian cancer. But doctors are quick to note that being thin is no guarantee of preventing ovarian cancer." Keloland.com

So now we have it, just one more reason(among the many) that maintaining a healthy weight is essential for healthy living. I, like a growing number of women are not only battling the disease but also the battle of the bulge...the bulge brought on by the oh so lovely chemotherapy. In addition to blaming cancer and chemo, I'm also realizing that the lack of hormones(brought on by sudden menopause) must also claim it's role in providing us with the extra pounds as well, particularly around your middle section.

I was in the grocery store the other day and it suddenly dawned on me. Yes, I'm dealing with some unwanted, lingering, pounds. But the choice to reverse the situation is mine. There I was shopping, picking out what ever I wanted...fruits and veggies included. There are far too many people who don't have that luxury. They have no choice but to eat and feed their family off of fast food, dollar menus, or meals that you can stretch into two or three days, like pasta.

I choose what foods to bring into my house, I choose what foods to put in my mouth, and ultimately I choose whether or not I put these extra pounds away for good.

3 comments:

Glynis said...

Hi Kia. Isn't that the truth? We take so much for granted as we stroll up and down the aisles at the grocery store!
As for those Google alerts...well how many hundreds have you had over the past few days that are linking obesity to ovarian cancer? I've read some of them - very interesting. But I have to admit I am pressing down rather hard on my delete button as I see the word 'obese' in the headline! I don't know about you but the only thing so far that have fit with my predisposition for 'getting' ovarian cancer is my age. I was not overweight - well maybe by 5-10lbs! I had children. I nursed my babies, I ate lots of fruit and vegetables on a regular basis, I went to the gym regularly...the list goes on. So it is good to prevent if we can, but one never really knows! Sigh. Keep up the good work of being a voice, though. (And I know what you mean about the waistline, the menopause and the hormones, too! Yikes. I am determined to win the battle of those extra chemo pounds. Time will tell.) Hugs.

Kia Taylor said...

Yes Glynis, I too push delete quite often, still haven't figured out a way to filter those alerts,lol.As for me my risk factors include never having born a child and mentrating at an early age(10). Still not sure how I got so lucky:)

test said...

I saw all those too - and as far as I can understand from my oncologist, the risk from obesity is that you don't NOTICE you have anything. She didn't say that being obese CAUSES OC.

I only got such quick treatment because I noticed a little bump [at the time I had a very flat belly, unlike now!] - if I'd been a few stone heavier, it would have been too late, as I wouldn't have noticed it at all.

I tend to take all these things with a pinch of salt - we all got this stupid disease, and yet we are all completely different.

I will leave the panic mongering to the press, as I have always been very dubious about what they say.