Thursday, January 29, 2009

Hormones or the lack there of...

I just read an interesting article about Hormone Therapy on Oprah.com. The article is geared towards helping women figure out if hormone therapy is right for them. There are many misconceptions about hormone therapy, so it never hurts to brush up on it. The article also states that any woman with a history of or a high risk to Ovarian, Breast, or Uterine cancer should not take Hormones. Since I fall into the "history of" category and I'm seven months into my journey with "instant menopause" I thought I'd update you as to where things stand.

Hot flashes invade my personal space on average about 3-4 times a day. Since the weather's been on the cool side(sixty degrees is cool for Florida) they seem to have decreased a bit. I usually handle the flashes by stripping where ever I am, how much I strip obviously depends on my location:) I've gotten a handle on the flash itself. I know when it's coming and how long it will last. It usually starts with a weird feeling in my legs. Followed by a strange feeling of not wanting anything on me or next to me and then a feeling of not wanting to be inside my own skin. The crazy part is that once the flash is over, it's as if nothing ever happened and within an instant I'm freezing to death, pulling the comforter back up or re-layering with sweatshirts or sweaters.

Dan(my hubby) is a real trooper. He's subjected to around the clock air conditioning and the constant on and off clicking of ceiling fans. I'm sure he never imagined in a million years that he would be dealing with a wife who's going through menopause at the age of 35. I try hard not to match my old lady diagnosis with old lady behavior. That combo would likely send him running for the hills!

I don't think I've exhibited traits of bitchiness, out of control emotions, or a short temper...but who am I to judge. The one glitch in the system is not being able to control who I get hot flashes in front of. I can be in the middle of a conversation with one or many people. I then feel like I owe it to them to explain why it is that in a room as cold as the north pole, I'm forced to pull out a napkin to wipe away the cluster of sweat beads that have within seconds formed around my temple.

3 comments:

test said...

hahaha - Kia this just made me roar with laughter - I have and do exactly the same thing! But, I don't bother to explain why I suddenly appear to be wildly feverish - I am sure people think I am malarial. ;o)

I fall into the "history of" category too, so no hormones for me thank you! Mine have dropped off a lot since I finished chemo, and Dr Hong suggested Oil of Evening Primrose [which I am taking - whether it does any good or not I don't know].

Apparently they can lessen over the years - lets hope so...I can't picture myself ripping off my clothes everywhere when I'm 80?
x

Glynis said...

Hey Sweetie. You are so funny, Kia. I am so in tune with you even though I am a few years your senior (cough?! cough!) After I was cruelly shoved into menopause, I thought I would have to spend my life in front of an open freezer. Amazingly, things have subsided somewhat since chemo, but, like you, I know exactly when the soggy veil of menopause is being tossed over me. Your hubby sounds like a gem who really meant what he said - in sickness and in health!

Hang in there, girl! Oh, and thanks for the comment about our OC crop! I wish you lived closer! Are you anywhere near Ocoee by any chance? Hugs xxx (P.S. boo on the hormones - not for me, either!)

Kia Taylor said...

Hey Sandhy! I also take evening primrose, it's one of those things where I'm not sure if it's working or not, lol!!

Glynis-Yep, I'm about a half hour or forty minutes away from ocoee...do you ever visit?