Monday, October 13, 2008

Just one of those days...

So today is one of those weird limbo days...getting back to "normal" is a lot easier said than done. I've been having a hard time sleeping as of late...I use to be such a good napper...so as you an imagine it's quite frustrating that I am having such difficulties in the napping and sleeping department. This could be a side effect from instant menopause however I refuse to google "symptoms of menopause" because that's just one less thing I need to start obsessing about.

I have way more energy than I've had in months, yet at times I still feel so tired... both physically and mentally. It's nerve wracking, as every little twinge, ache or pain is a constant and intrusive reminder of where I've been and the unknown that lies ahead of me. Gone are the carefree days of obsessing about red carpet fashions or who's dating who. Long gone are the days that cancer was some far off remote possibility that only happened to "other" people.

I volunteered last week at the Southern Women's Show with The Ovarian Cancer Alliance booth here in Orlando. The experience was wonderful, yet a brutal reminder of how horrible this disease is and of how many family's it has torn apart, often without any advanced warning. I was happy to meet people with whom I have this common bond, this sisterhood of sorts...however the number of people who have lost a loved one to this dreadful disease left me with mixed reviews. I felt their pain as if it was my own, I felt guilty because I made it through and scared because it's my "new" reality.

2 comments:

nat said...

((HUGS))
I started taking melatonin (at the health food store) for nights when I couldn't sleep. It helped, and was more natural than taking a sleeping pill. If you haven't tried that yet, give it a shot!

test said...

Another good thing is to go to bed listening to either music or an audio book on your headset. Keeps the mind busy until you drop off. Sometimes I think we THINK too much ;o)
x