Monday, October 6, 2008

Breast Cancer Awareness...friend or foe?

You'd have to live under a rock not to know that October is breast cancer awareness month:) There's just no escaping it. It's out there to make you aware, diligent and mindful about what's happening in your body. It would be wonderful if all cancer's received the same amount of attention and publicity as breast cancer does. I'd love to one day see the stores flooded with teal m&m's or bodywash and to have my house filled with all things teal... Since being diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer teal has become my new BFF. It's a bit like joining a sorority...albeit a sorority that you didn't sign up for, heck in a lot of cases a sorority you didn't even know existed.

I hear a lot of people talk about how unfair it is that Breast Cancer gets all the attention from mom and dad, while survivor's of other cancer's feel like lonely step children. Sometimes Mr. jealousy enters my world also, but then I remind myself that this isn't a competition between the "it" girls and the not so "it" girls. We can't afford to waste our energy trying to out do one another.

I'm not mad at Breast Cancer, if anything I'm encouraged by it. I know that with hard work and diligence Ovarian Cancer will soon be right up there along side it's sister.

The crazy thing about the breast/ovarian cancer war is that in some instances the two are connected. In hereditary cases changes or mutations of the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes increase the chances that a woman will get one or both cancers. Gene test to identify potential risk are often done on woman who have a family history of breast, ovarian, or colon cancers. A lot of people don't realize this and it's something we should all be aware of. Just another one of those little facts that could play a pivotal role in saving your life.

There's no time like the present, so if you haven't had your mammogram yet...now is the time. If you're not sure when you should start having them, talk to your gyn...be sure to let them know your family history or any past problems you may have had. They can only help you if you're willing to help yourself!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

very powerful!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kia, Yes I've been sucked into this vortex of FaceBook too.
I am proud of you. Just found your blog today and perhaps I'm emotional. My husband says that it's just how I am and to get over it.
I love your attitude and that you write about it.
Reading it reminds me of the lump I found at 24. It's not there anymore and I've been able to feed four healthy girls into this world. It was a little scary to find it ten years ago.
Caroline Myss' book helped me get through a lot of it. It's women's bodies, women's wisdom. i only remember from that book that paying attention to your body was very important and to get and give lots of love[via hugs mainly]
I'll tell Nicole to give you one for me. Thanks much for sharing.
Sincerely, and with love
Shani