Thursday, December 11, 2008

Can a marriage survive cancer?

If your one of my wonderfully loyal and faithful readers then you already know a little bit about my life BC(Before Cancer). If you're new here and a soon to be loyal and faithful reader, I'll get you up to speed...

I was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer three weeks before my first wedding anniversary. Not quite the anniversary present I was looking for, but at least I was here to celebrate...this totally rocked our world. All that we knew to be true, we now questioned and how to navigate this new part of our journey would soon reveal itself.

I know a lot of people say that they couldn't have made it through the storm without the support of their significant other. I'm pretty sure I would have made it through, but it wouldn't have been the same. My husband is my biggest fan!! He supports me, but he won't pacify me. Translation~he won't let me fall down the black hole of self pity and despair. I'll admit at times I've uttered a few choice words to him(under my breath of course), but in the back of my mind I knew that he was right. I knew that I was capable of much more than what Ovarian Cancer was trying to dictate. Yes, my parents and friends are an amazing support system...but I can still get away with murder especially when it comes to my dad:) And for parent's, I think it's incredibly hard to watch your child go through a life threatening disease. Children aren't suppose to live this earth before their parent's and when that happens at any age it's so hard to come back from that. So I did my part by remaining upbeat and optimistic when talking to the folks,wanting to spare them as much grief as possible.

Because of this, my husband was privy to all things cancer, be it good, bad, or indifferent. That's hard to process, let alone live with. I always knew we would make it, because I know who we are at our core and as my husband says "nothing is bigger then us". What I've come to realize now that I've come out from under the rock is that a lot of couples aren't able to weather the storm that an illness can bring about. It's life changing and if you've got plans and a direction that you're already heading in, it can be hard to navigate your way through. We all repeat some version of the infamous "in sickness and in health" vow's when we get married, yet for many people those words go right out the window when put to the test.

Honesty was the key for me. Being open and receptive to hearing the other person's point of view was also key. Let's face it, anyone who knows me knows that I can be pretty dramatic at times. So when they outline a list of a hundred "possible" side effects that you can get from chemo, I'm the type that would think that I had them all. My husband's the type of person that doesn't buy into things like side effects. How did we mesh the two worlds? A lot of dialogue, topped off with a little bit of "I told you so":) Things will change, but as in life you have to be open to changing with them. I know this is easier said than done, as I'm still having trouble in this area. Some day's will be great and some day's will feel like you just took twenty steps backwards.

Being able to say, I hear you makes the world of difference. I may not agree with you, but I hear you and as long as you hear me, we're moving in the right direction.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep - "I told you so"

Luv ya
me - I had to get the last word

nat said...

It would be hard to be with someone who catered to every pain or 'vapor' we experienced! I think ultimately, that would annoy me. I like that my husband helps keep me real. But he won't let me give up hope either.

Yep - I too would have made it without him, but I'm so glad I didn't have to! ;)

My husband always wants the last word too..... :)

test said...

this made me chuckle, it's something I could just copy and paste into my own blog and it would be 100% true.

I know I would have made it through too, and like you I am eternally grateful I didn't have to - but there's no way I would have made it through with such confidence [and yes, there's no: 'poor you' from the other half in our house either! more like 'get cracking, you can do it'].

Imagine - we are so lucky! Oh, and my husband ALSO usually has the last word - I have to mutter under my breath when he's left the room if I want it. :o)

mutter mutter...
x

Eve said...

Wow Kia. You too the words right out of my mouth. Mario has started coming to my therapy sessions with me to help me with my panic attacks. Maybe him and Dan can start a husband's support group entitled "Crazy Women of The Riddick Family"-lol. He has been so patient with me throughout every little episode. I know there have been times when he didn't have the strength to deal with my antics or moods, but he did. They are good men.

Tracey said...

Hey Kia

Your one lucky lady indeed.. I'd been with my partner 6 months when i was diagnosed with Ovarian AND Cervical cancer ( i was greedy hehe), then he changed.. The hospital gave me leaflets to give him to understand my condition.. he wanted non of it.. basically he turned into a very violent man who tried to stab me, thumped me and tried to throw me down the stairs too,as well as the verbal abuse i got on a daily basis needless to say i left and became a lot stronger.

On the bright side i met a fantastic man who had chronic myeloid leukaemia and over a year later, we're as happy as ever.and both doing fine.

Chemo made me go soft in the head but by jimminy did i harden up and i'm sooo happy i did.
stay strong Kia
xxx

Sophia said...

In a world where unsuccesful marriages seem commonplace its a rare gem to hear such honesty and to celebrate a successful marriage.

One day I hope to be as blessed as you are, girl God is good!