Friday, September 19, 2008

Back on the wagon...


So there are ton's of side effects with chemotherapy. Constant reminders of what your going through and what's happening to your body as a direct result. I'm having trouble kicking one of my side effects to the curb. It's really good at lingering even though it's completely worn out it's welcome. I'm feeling pretty good now, I no longer have use for it, yet it doesn't seem to get the hint. It sits on my hips, my thighs, my stomach, my arms, my legs...okay you get the idea. Who gains weight on chemo? ME! I ate enough to feed a third world country. My hubby(never thought I'd be the type to use the word hubby, but I love it), he ate out of solidarity, hence the reason behind his extra pounds...I won't disclose his tally...maybe he'll do a guest blog and share some of his secrets...after-all I wouldn't want to mis-represent him by getting his numbers wrong:)

My treatments were on Tuesday's, once every three weeks. The infusion process is about 4 hours. Your first one is a bit longer, because everything is new to you. You start your "cocktail" off with some fluids and some not-so-friendly-to-a-girl's-figure steroids...followed by benadryl(prevents allergic reactions, makes you so so happy, and knocks you out) chased with anti-nausea med's and the first bag of chemo...after the first bag you are given an even nicer cocktail that starts with even better anti nausea meds and for me a second bag of chemo.

The effects of my chemo usually subsided by Sunday with Saturday being my first almost normal day and the day that my major eating commenced...my food of choice...Chinese! Besides being so yummy, food kept my nausea at bay...and if you know me at all you know that throwing-up is my least favorite thing to do, see, hear, or smell on this planet!! My biggest concern about getting cancer and having chemo was whether or not I was going to throw-up. We've all seen the movies...I can't imagine a worst punishment for me than a room full of throw-up, hooked up to a pole that's attached to a socket in my chest, with no where to run.

I was kind of proud of myself at first...weird huh? I mean it felt pretty good to say, yes I'm keeping my food down, nope no problems eating, yes everythings great...I felt like a champion...a superstar, it was one less thing that Ovarian Cancer had over me. I had a steady gain of about 5 pounds per session...Hey, when I do things, I do them right...no half steppin here!

So here I am blogging about food, thinking about what kind of "treat" I'll give myself for finishing this entry...I haven't decided yet but I know it will be low in points. Yes, weight watcher points...back to the drawing board for me. I've got my handy dandy scale and measuring cup and I'm getting pretty good at counting out my 20 mini pretzels, I can even count them in my sleep.

The great thing is that I know I'm not alone. The more I speak out about Ovarian Cancer the more wonderful women I meet and the more I realize that it's okay and things do get better. You can check out some of their fabulous blogs if you'd like, I've got them listed under "my blog list". There are so many reminders of what we've been through and for most of us our lives will never be the same. We didn't surrender to cancer and we won't surrender to anything that cancer has left behind...including a few extra pounds.

Many say that eating healthy and maintaining your weight is so important when you are fighting an illness like cancer and I agree. For me, I threw caution to the wind and went with whatever made me feel good and in the end I think that's all that matters. Doing what's right for you.

2 comments:

test said...

I can't believe it! You too?? I gained a stone!! And I have managed to lose about 3 pounds so far, but the steroids make it SOOO hard, plus I still think I deserve 'treats' for having had cancer - well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! :o) Dr Hong told me that OC is one of the only ones that you actually GAIN weight during chemo...grr. Everyone thought I looked better during chemo than I have for ages, due to the 'cute fat' chemo/steroid face...hmm, perhaps I'll not bother to lose the weight? heh heh
Sx

Sophia said...

You hit the nail right on the head. Do what's right for you. I am amazed by your strength.....keep going, keep your head up. I'm 6 years from OVCA (I was 26 when diagnosed) and I still don't think I have the mental strength you seem to have. God bless!