Saturday, September 6, 2008

Teal Time...taking control of cancer




Yesterday, September 5th was the 3rd annual "Teal Time", a day when everyone was asked to wear teal in an effort to create awareness for Ovarian Cancer. My hubby and I did our part, as you can see from the pics I've included. We looked like tourist at Disney world, which is actually pretty close to where we live. It is the hope of many woman that we can make the color teal as synonymous with Ovarian Cancer as pink is with Breast Cancer. Don't be sad if you missed yesterday's teal, you still have a chance to join in every Tuesday for the rest of September.

You'll see from the picture's that my hair is starting to grow back. It's kind of a tight curly fro, I'm trying to go without a relaxer as long as I can...we'll see how that works out. Once it starts to grow, it moves pretty fast. I went from looking like Yoda to looking like Angela Davis in a matter of weeks:)

Before I was diagnosed I had shoulder length hair. I had been growing it out for a year or so,before then I use to wear it very short and sassy. Truth is I go back and forth, especially when I see someone sporting the opposite of what I have at the moment.

All of the literature I read after my diagnosis said that one way to take control of the cancer was to cut your hair before it starts to fall out. Not ALL chemo will take your hair out. However, the two types that I had(Taxotere and Carboplatin) were not the exception. One of the first things my doctor told me after telling me I had to have chemo was that I would DEFINITELY lose all of my hair.

While sitting in my first chemo, I called my hairdresser to schedule a cut for the next day. I had no idea what side effects chemo would give me, but I knew that I didn't want to see my hair shedding in the shower or laying on my pillowcase when I woke up. My hairdresser speaks Spanish and a handful of English, so I'm not sure she understood what I was saying as I screamed into the phone...I HAVE CANCER, I HAVE TO HAVE MY HAIR CUT!
Armed with my best friend by my side, I walked into the hairdresser the day after chemo to take control...although I was groggy and sleepy I proceeded to explain my story. Next thing I know, the waterworks are flying and my stylist is ushering me in the back. She sat me down and proceeded to pray for me. So now here I am crying harder and harder.

All I can say is thank goodness my friend was there(thanks Tasha). I was in no shape to carry on with my movement. Tasha explained what I wanted done(of course this is all secondhand information, I heard none of this) and my hair cut was complete.

I want to say thank you to a anonymous woman. When I turned to pay my hairdresser, she let me know that someone in the shop had already paid my bill. A woman who didn't know me, but had heard my story paid my bill. A life changing, heart wrenching day, was brought to a close by the beautiful gesture of a complete stranger.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kia,
You are so welcome! I did not want to be anywhere else but by your side. Thanks for being my inspiration...you faced this disease with grace, faith, and strength!!

Love always,
Tasha

Anonymous said...

Kia,

I am not sure why I received this other than I am Joe's good friend and college roomate. However, I do know that God is good.
Recently, my wife has been to the doctor and they found that she has tested positive for the virus that causes utirian cancer, endometriosis and something else. She goes back to the doctor in October. While we are praying that they find no cancer of any kind, we are also at ease knowing God is in control.
Since this whole thing has startedm I have noticed my increased awareness of overian cancer and how common it seems to be.
As a supportive husband, I know I must be strong for my wife, and at the same time aware of what is the right way to support her.
She is a life coach and Director of Marketing, she is also heavily involved in church. Most importantly, she is a mother of 3 beautiful girls.
I will keep in touch and please email us.
May God bless you during your trail. I will pray for you and your family.

nat said...

Wow! You look great!

That is a great story about your hair - I'm glad you had it cut before it started falling out.

I am having issues now with the curls - I have no idea what to do with curly hair! :) Mine was always straight - it wouldn't hold a perm either.

Thanks for your mission to spread the word about ovarian cancer.

Anonymous said...

Kia,
Meeting you today made me feel almost normal again. I was diagnosed with Glassy Cell Carcinoma in February, so while most days I think I have it under control...sometimes I just don't. Still, I think each day that passes there is improvement. But what really helps is being in the company of someone as young and beautiful and vibrant as you, to know that Cancer is only as much as I allow it to be.

Best,

Stefanii

Anonymous said...

Hi Kia
You look wonderful. Although I am far, our friendship will never end. I pray daily for you and Dan. Keep this mission alive to spread the word on Ovarian Cancer!!! You are an inspiration.

Love Always
Cindy R

Decor To Adore said...

I'm wearing my teal!

test said...

hi Kia
You look great! and a good blog too - I found it through Nat's. I had one of 'those' days yesterday, but a man I have never met had heard about me from a neighbour and arrived at my door with a big bunch of flowers from his garden! I was so touched. It's things like that that keep you going isn't it? Such a small kindness means so much and changed my day completely.
Keep up the good work - you will be making more difference than you know I am sure
Sx