Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Care-Givers...the forgotten ones

Between the phone calls, floral delivery's and e-mail, it's often hard to keep up with all of the fan-fare that surrounds you when you are first diagnosed with an illness like cancer. However, sometime between dealing with your new "reality" and your new "normal" life as we know it goes on for the rest of the world, often leaving you with a feeling of loneliness and alienation. For some, the new found quiet is deafening. The silence is unbearable. Personally, I relished the idea that life would go on as normal, it somehow made what I was going through less real or even secondary. It was a good cover; the first person to blow my cover was my husband, because if you ask him...he'll probably say that cancer often came first. Whether it was anticipating the next chemo, the next doctor's appointment or scan...cancer was always there.

You can add the job of care-giver to the ever-growing list of the most under appreciated jobs in our country. They often feel scared, helpless, and frustrated... and in need of their own personal escape from reality. Their new reality. Only there's no escape...they're in it for the long run and the long haul. Just when you don't think you can't go any further or when you're not sure if winning the battle is worth fighting the war...they're right there beside you cheering you along the whole way.

I remember going to an Ovarian Cancer fundraising luncheon with my husband. They asked all of the Ovarian Cancer patients to stand up, followed by all of the survivors. They then asked that all of the care-givers stand up. Wow, the care-givers...this underrated, awesome group of individuals that never tire. I had chills. I held back my tears, because once I get going there's no telling when things will simmer down. It was at that moment that I first realized that this is their battle too. As the patient you often get consumed with all that you have to endure and the reality that something like this is actually happening to you. Too often we forget to stop and take notice of those around us. Those who make this road we're on a little easier to travel..

So when we celebrate, we can't forget our biggest champions. We can't forget how much harder this fight would be, without them by our side.

We're all looking and longing to be free... each in our own way.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kia
Dan is never forgotten in my prayers as he needs strength and patience.
Love
Cindy R

Glynis said...

You made me cry, Kia. What you said about the caregivers is so true. I have a sweet hubby, too, who feels my pain and is my doorkeeper, yet the flowers and cards come addressed to me. I just completed a walk (Winner's Walk of Hope) in Barrie, Ontario. I got the recognition there for being the top fundraiser but it really was my husband who got the majority of my sponsors. He doesn't know this yet, but we are taking him out to celebrate next Saturday if I am well. :) We need to remember often how this life changing cancer diagnosis affects us all, don't we. Blessings to you on your journey and for making me think.

nat said...

You hit the nail on the head with this post. My husband is such a help to me. I am going to do something special for just him today! :)

You have such a clear and concise way of writing. It is both informative, and emotive. I always enjoy your posts!

Decor To Adore said...

May God bless your husband and may He provide a speedy and complete recovery for you.