Thursday, September 4, 2008

Stand UP 2 Cancer and more....

There's so much going on in my brain right now. There was once a time...actually just a week ago...when I thought I wouldn't have enough to say on this blog. Now I've got so much to say, I can't figure out what to write down first.

So here goes...

Tomorrow, Friday September 5th all three major networks will air "STAND-UP 2 CANCER" simultaneously, starting at 8pm est. It's a star studded event to help raise awareness of this senseless disease that claims the life of 1 person every minute of the day, 1500 people a day. 1500 of our son's, daughters, mother's, father's, and children die everyday. As Charlie Gibson put it this morning, we spend more money on checking purses and shoes at the airport than we do on Cancer research. Before you get started, I truly believe that we should invest money in keeping our country safe and we should do whatever it takes to make that happen. I think in some instances, like airport security we need to be willing and able to revisit the situation and assess whether or not we still need the same measures to support that cause. I know it's easier said than done but we have to figure out how to distribute funding so that no one is slighted. The main reason behind Stand Up 2 Cancer is that we are so close to a breakthrough and cure for cancer, but with limited funded, less and less everyday...we're never going to get there. We'll be taking great strides, BACKWARDS!

This brings me to my next dilemma.

As I've said before, my mission is to spread awareness of Ovarian Cancer. It's also my mission to bring awareness of this disease as well as others to the attention of the underprivileged people in our society who are being left for dead due to the disparities in health care. It's great that we are educating more and more people each day, but how do we get these people to take notice and follow up with a visit to their doctor? How do we get people who don't have insurance to trust the "system". People who are willing to deal with all of the aggravation that comes along with trying to get equal and fare attention and treatment from qualified health professionals. That's the question I don't have answers to. Yes there are free clinic's and emergency rooms that some people(I won't name names) actually think is the answer to it all. Funny, because just a few months ago a woman ended up dead on an emergency room floor in Brooklyn while waiting endless hours to receive care. What do we say to people like that? What do we say to their families?

I'm frustrated. I feel guilty. Guilty because I was fortunate enough to have a two-three week wait between the discovery of my mass and surgery to remove it. Followed by chemotherapy shortly thereafter. The prompt attention and swift call to action its the reason I am here today. How do I convince other women that they have the same chance with early detection and quality treatment? I'm not sure I can.

1 comment:

Decor To Adore said...

Hi Kia,

I am so glad that you found my blog. Together lets begin shouting about this silent disease.

Come back next Friday for more healing havens.

Although you're welcome to come back sooner. :)