Monday, September 15, 2008

A thief called "Ovarian Cancer"

There's a new thief in my town and it goes by the name of CANCER! There's nothing you can do to protect yourself...you just have to be ready to do battle when the time comes. It's presence in my life has robbed me of so much and there are times when I still can't let go of all of the anger. Some days are better than others but this weekend I had one of those not so good or accepting days. Cancer has stolen my hair, my choice to have natural children, my ability to get life insurance or any other secondary insurance for that matter, and most importantly the lives of way too many people. With that said and as angry as I am, I refuse to let it steal my focus, drive, determination, or identity.

When I have these moments I'm so grateful that I am able to stop and check myself. I know now more than ever that I'm here for a purpose.

I often think about a woman that I had chemo with a few times. We were diagnosed around the same time and pretty close in age, she was 38. She was diagnosed with late stage Ovarian Cancer. Armed with a smile, always laughing and just a pleasure to be around you would never know that she carried the weight of the world on her shoulders. Sadly, my chemo friend lost her battle with Ovarian Cancer just a couple months after I last saw her...bringing her 9 month journey to a rapid end. When I last saw her, she told me that she had kicked cancer's butt and she was saying goodbye forever to the chemo room. I'm sure she had the same feelings as I did about that room, as nice as the nurses and other patients were...it's probably one of those places you could have gone your entire life without ever seeing. I envied her way of thinking and positive outlook. I use that inspiration daily, more than she will ever know. She left behind a husband and two little boys, who although I've never met, I also think about often.

I fight this fight with, alongside, and for beautiful woman all around the world. I don't know where my mission will take me, but I plan to make sure I enjoy every step of my journey.

Tomorrow I will be helping out with the Ovarian Cancer Alliance of Florida at a community health fair(Take a loved one to the Doctor day). I'm so excited to have this opportunity to give back and hopefully help someone else along the way. I encourage you all to think about those around you who could really benefit from a ride to the doctor, the grocery store, or even an afternoon stroll around the park. It's so much easier to do things together, yet people can't seem to resist the impulse to go it alone.

No comments: